Now registering for September, 2015. Openings in all Parenting classes!
Parent-Infant & Parent-Toddler registration forms: Fall 2015, Winter 2015-16, Spring 2016 Parent-Child registration and contract form, click here
Parenting an infant or toddler can be exciting and joyful, and it can be exhausting and emotionally challenging. Our classes offer gentle support and guidance and foster a community of diverse families.
Parenting classes at Acorn Hill provide a supportive structure that bridges the family experience from birth to 3, before the child is ready for an independent school experience.
Our parenting programs are built upon the work of Rudolf Steiner (founder of Waldorf education) and Emmi Pikler (founder of the Pikler Institute). We also utilize current early childhood research, with attention and respect for the common sense and wisdom of generations of parents.
Parent & Infant I
6 weeks through creeping
|October 1 – November 19
8 classes, Thursdays
11:30am – 12:45pm
This class offers a quiet, nurturing, supportive time for parents to simply be with their babies and to let their babies BE. Both parents and infants receive individualized attention and are introduced to the concepts of:
- conscious, cooperative care giving to support attachment and attunement
- self-initiated movement to support emerging sense of self and self confidence
- observation with warm objectivity to enhance parental confidence
Parent & Infant II
mobile babies – crawling to confident walking
|October 2 – November 20
8 classes, Fridays
11:30am – 1:00pm
As babies begin to mobilize, their environment must change. This class provides a safe yet challenging environment for the babies to explore, roll, crawl, climb, stand and interact. The concepts of Parent & Infant I will be continued with new topics such as:
- feeding and nourishing your baby
- sleep for you and baby
- rhythm and routine for you and baby
- creating family traditions
- movement and cognitive development
Parent & Toddler
14 months to 2 years 3 months
|September 10, 11 – November 19, 20
10 classes, Thursdays or Fridays
9:00 – 11:00am
Required Parent Orientation: Tuesday, September 8, 7:30 – 9pm
As our babies stand and walk, we want to continue to support their lives with rhythm and routine. While with our children, we work on being in the moment while setting the tone of quiet industry which lets the children explore and begin their journey to free play. This class is designed for children who are already confident walkers. Your child will have:
- space to explore movement
- opportunities for social interaction
Together, parents and toddlers share:
- a wholesome snack
- a simple story
- a circle time of songs and movement
- time outdoors, no matter the weather!
Parents will have opportunities to work with toddler issues, including conflict.
Parent-Child Program – the transition class between Parenting and Independent classes
Click here for Parent-Child registration and contract form
2 to 3 years 6 months by Sept 1
Th or F 9:15-11:30 Sept-June
The Parent-Child course, meeting over the entire school year, offers a course of training for child and parent alike. This program provides a gentle, hands-on introduction into the setting of the Waldorf early childhood classroom.
Parents will learn and experience:
- wet-on-wet watercolor painting
- simple knitting and sewing
- simple wool felting
- a variety of home-friendly activities
Your child will have a safe and nurturing classroom experience and will have the opportunity to develop in the areas of:
- sensory foundations
- physical/motor foundations
- interpersonal foundations
- language and pre-literacy development
Parents will have further opportunities for:
- discussion in monthly parent evenings
- working with child development such as play, warmth, conflict and sleep